Tuesday, June 13, 2006

A book on the Reformers

I am currently reading K James Stein's book Spiritual Guides for the 21st Century: Faith Stories of the Protestant Reformers (Nashville: Upper Room Books, 2000). This is the first time I'm reading a book by K J. Stein, but I think it was well written. ... ... as I had expected. In the market today, there are so many books on the biographies of Christians who lived before us. So, why did I choose this book. Firstly, I think it is non-academic. Some biographies are like history textbooks, but this is not. The next reason is that it is written by a church historian who has taught in a theological seminary (Garrett-Evanelical TS) for more than thirty years. With his wealth of experience & knowledge, I believe this would be a good book. Thirdly, the important reformers are all covered. There is Martin Luther, Ulrich Zwingli, John Calvin, Menno Simons and Thomas Cranmer. The author begins with an introductory chapter titled "The World into which the Reformation came", which provided the readers with a brief intro to the political-socioeconomic background and cultural changes of the 16th Century. In every chapter on the different reformers, there are also sections on the particular reformer's understanding of the Christian faith and his insight for Christian living. Thus, this is not just a book on the lives of the reformers, but also provided the theology these reformers believed and lived. After every chapter, there is questions for personal or group reflection. This is a feature something not commonly found in other books of Christians biographies. I love biographies (though they may not always be accurate portrayals!!), and when I read this book, as was with John Wesley, I felt my heart strangely warmed.

2 comments:

Wilson Tan said...

seriously, have you thought about writing books? this blog entry could easily be turned into a book, you know?

excellent work! do u mind if i link this article to the Synod Youth Ministry blog?

if you are free, can you please help us updates some interesting articles too?

Thanks.

Ignatius said...

sure! link it to the Synod Youth Ministry blog. .... but I think the article you are refering to is the one "The Earliest Church in Singapore"??

writing books? heheh.... maybe! ... but this draft is still & certainly very far from a book (that anyone would read)!!!