Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Be Discerning through Knowing History

"When you see this [The Da Vinci Code] as a historian," I asked Dr. Paul Maier, professor of ancient history at Western Michigan University, "what does that do to you?" "Well, I worry about the truth. I really do," Maier replied. "What happens if a majority of the readers of this novel will believe all the lies that are included in the second half of the book? Will this become the majority opinion? And will those historians who are really seeking the truth be crowded out in the future? Actually, I am far more furious at The Da Vinci Code as a professor of ancient history than I am as a Christian. The church has been attacked for two thousand years now. Well, what's new? But I cannot stand it when universally accepted facts of the past are falsified. This I cannot take." Then he gave the ultimate insult a college professor can offer. "If a student of mine had written something like this," he declared, "I would flunk him!" --- From Exploring the Da Vinci Code: Investigating the Issues Raised by the Book and Movie (Zondervan) by Lee Strobel and Garry Poole

“Can Jesus really be trusted as God incarnate, or was he merely a human pawn in the greatest scam in history?" --- From Lee Strobel, Exploring the Da Vinci Code (Zondervan)

No comments: